Monday, March 12, 2012

The Skin I Live In

Well Pedro Almodovar has created a brilliant film that ultimately I didn't enjoy. The concept is certainly interesting. A rather disturbed, dare I say mad, Doctor is keeping a mysterious woman in his mansion. He is using her as a lab subject grafting a new type of skin that resists all damage. Why is he doing this? Who is this woman? The film reveals all in an out of sequence way.

I really can't say too much more about the film. Generally I'm not afraid to talk about "Spoilers," but in this film it's all about the spoilers. So, let me just say a few overall observations. The film is well acted, Antonio Bandaras was really intense. The film was well shot, edited, and well written.

So why didn't I get into it? Well, first there's not to put to fine a point on it a lot of rape in this film. Just one of those things, I find it hard to get into a film with a lot of rape in it even if one person is wearing a tiger suit. On a similar note there's a lot of Stockholme Syndrome going on here and that's just a form of mental rape. Finally, there is just an over all "ewwww" factor that for me just killed the film for me.

It should be noted this was well received on the film festival circuit. Make of that what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment