Monday, January 24, 2011

Legend of the Guardians

By george I don't know how he did it (ok, I lie I know HOW just not WHY), but Zack Snyder (of 300/Watchmen fame) managed to sneak in slow mo action into a children's movie.  That deserves a slow golf clap to be sure.

Apparently based on a series of books, this is a story about owls.  Owls, ok I can go for that.  They always look funky and smart so I can imagine a kingdom of owls.  These owls just want to live in piece as they slaughter rodents for their daily feeding.  The story centers on two young brothers still learning to fly.  They get kidnapped by evil owls.  These owls, the "pure ones," are seeking to create an empire and take over the other owl kingdoms.  They are kidnapping young owls and turning them into mindless slaves or soldiers.  One brother decides maybe he likes being a soldier, the other flies to the Guardians.  The Guardians are legendary keepers of order who live in a far away tree and have the skill of blacksmithing creating masks and weapons.

This is a mostly painless movie.  The kids would certainly like it.  There are some parts that I found fun.  Other parts... well I've seen this story before.  That owls are used instead of people, dogs, or cats does keep it a little fresh.  It does create its own problems.  I might have been able to buy it better as traditional 2d animation but seeing realistically defined owls doing blacksmithing sort strained my suspension of disbelief there.  On the other hand, I understand that ol' Zack got stunt men to wear cardboard wings and beat the snot out of each other to get the owl fighting right.  It does look impressive to be sure.

Overall, good for the kids.  I think this was a good pick up project for Zack, but I'm still waiting for "Sucker Punch."

No comments:

Post a Comment