Saturday, October 23, 2010

Bored to Death is sort of um.. boring?



Bored to Death is a pretty simple series.  Jason Schwartzman is a writer who isn't writing that much and is just out of relationship.  He drinks too much white wine and smokes too much weed.  So in the middle of a self made wasteland he puts up an ad in Craig's list as an "unlicensed Private Investigator."  Now his life is more interesting as he juggles the odd case as he deals with a mercurial Ted Danson and his comic book drawing pal Zach Galifianakis.

It is certainly a well written series, and Ted Danson is obviously having a swell time.  Still, there is always the danger that a series about bored people getting high on weed will sometimes result in a rather negative contact high.  That is, sometimes it is too slow.  Sometimes, I don't give a rat's patootie about the main character.  Also, not being a New York intellectual doesn't help my love for the series since it worships that subset of a subset of americana.  Still, there was enough to keep my interest.  I just wish HBO would do a series about the OTHER jewish detective/artist.  Come on HBO, I dare you, I double dog dares you to do a Kinky Freidman show.

2 comments:

  1. I love the music in the intro. I like the mellowness or slowness. I find the central character uninteresting for the most part, but the supporting cast has always been fun and worth the watch. I'm not a white wine drinker, nor a pot smoker, but I don't take offense to that in the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't making a moral judgement the characters are the ones saying they are drinking and smoking too much.

    ReplyDelete