Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Resident Evil: Afterlife

This is the fourth film of this series, which is amazing to me.  I liked the first one well enough, and I'm not one to slap Director Anderson around too much.  He specializes in light weight, light headed entertainment and I can appreciate it.  But the second film was a dog in my book that was put together seemingly by chimps with parkinson's.  The third is literally zoned out of after about 20 minutes.  I woke up when the credits were rolling.  So now here's the fourth.

Well, I didn't zone out.  Our hero Alice is still looking for a zombie less place to call her own.  The evil Umbrella organization is still mucking around the world.  There are still enough cliched humans for Alice to try to save.  So it's business as usual.  Here at first she's flying planes around until finally landing on the roof of a fortified building to help a bunch of people get to Zombie free land.  The evil Umbrella corporation led by a Matrix-y dude still want Alice, and the zombies want to eat.

This is still a mess story wise, and I didn't give a damn about anyone.  That being said, I have to say there were some fairly cool action scenes.  There's a scene where an army of Alice clones attack Umbrella headquarters, and there's another scene where Alice is in the showers against a giant zombie armed with Daddy of all axes.  I liked that one a lot because the giant reminded me a lot of Pyramid Head from "Silent Hill."  So in the end the film plays to the director's strength of being both light headed and light weight, but it kept moving enough that my interest was secured.

No comments:

Post a Comment