Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Ok, this is a short review. Well received novel now filmed twice and this is the American version. A journalist and hacker join forces to solve a decades old murder. The suspects are all on one island and mostly disgustingly rich. Can they solve the mystery? Will they connect with each other as people?

Well, honestly you'll have to watch the movie yourself if you want to know. I did, and I read the book, and I watched the original picture. I didn't like any of them. I kept coming back because I felt I must have been missing something because everyone else seemed to really like it. Finally, though, I have come to the conclusion that I simple don't like no matter how good it was presented.

Make no mistake, this is beautiful film. This is beautifully shot, well acted, well written, and the music is just incredible. This is the type of film that film school students come and see to pick up tips. So then, why did I not like it? Well first off, it is way too rape-y for me. As I said in another review, it's just something that turns off of a film and this film really did it in a way that was just raw hurt on the screen.

The main reason though I didn't connect to this film is that its about people who have made huge walls between themselves and the world. For the most part the walls are still there by the end of the film. It's like watching a film about glaciers doing a waltz. There's a certain fascination, but no connection. It's just hard to sit through two hours when you can't engage beyond a certain appreciation of the technical aspects of the film.

So there you have it. Most every other critic loved the film, loved the book. So take this all with a grain of salt.



No comments:

Post a Comment